Monday 18 April 2011

Dominic West in Life As A Dream at The Donmar

Donmar never disappoints. As an almost fanatical fan of The Wire, I had high expectations of Dominic West in 'Life as a Dream' last night. The play is a new adaptation by Helen Edmundson of a Spanish 17th century classic. This dark, but in places humorous piece is reminiscent of Shakespeare's work in the social interplay of its characters. But for me, it wasn't the brilliance of the script that shined on the night. I could run out of superlatives to describe West's performance, his presence threatening to overshadow the other actors on the stage. There was none of the womanising, boozing Baltimore cop here. West was the embodiment of the wronged, passionate prince that the role required. Enough to say I and several other members of the audience did all to resist a collective swooning over his impressive physique. I think I might be love.

No comments: